Men’s Health Week is June 12–19, and the Lighthouse Construction Industry Charity is helping to promote it by letting people know about all the ways they can help men in the construction industry.
One out of every five men dies before turning 65. Men’s Health Week is all about raising awareness about health problems that men of all ages and backgrounds can avoid. The causes are a mix of physical and mental health problems.
Since 87 percent of our construction workers are men, they must have free and easy access to help them live healthier lives. Many things can be done to keep the mind and body fit.
- Seeing your doctor often can help them find and treat health problems like prostate cancer when they are still in their early stages.
- Cut down on how much salt and sugar you eat. Too much salt can raise your cholesterol and lead to heart problems in the future, while too much sugar can make you gain weight and/or give you diabetes.
- Go for a daily walk. You can get some cardio exercise and fresh air when you go for a walk, and it’s also good for your mental health.
- Lessen how much you drink. Aside from making it hard to do normal things, drinking a lot of alcohol all the time can cause problems with your liver.
- Quit smoking. Smoking hurts every part of your body and can cause serious health problems like lung and throat cancer. It’s also expensive.
- Every day, have breakfast – A healthy breakfast is a good way to start the day. It not only gives you energy so you can do your best mentally and physically, but it also helps you keep your blood sugar levels stable and your weight healthy because you are less likely to overeat later in the day.
- Join a group in your area. Being part of a group can improve mental health by making people feel less alone and disconnected.
- Talk to someone. Maintain good relationships with people. Moreover, try to communicate with a person that can make you feel comfortable to talk with, whether it’s with family, friends, or any other person.
- A hobby can help us relax, help us get better at something, or just give us a chance to hang out with other people. It’s also a great way to get away from work and break up the routine of everyday life.
- Volunteer. It has been shown that doing something kind for other people makes us feel better.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Sleep is important for a healthy mental state because it allows us to control our emotions and function well
Bill Hill, CEO of the Lighthouse Construction Industry Charity, said, “Our construction industry is 87% male, which is why it’s incredibly important for us to provide the right support and encourage them to be healthy for work and life. As a charity, we provide holistic support across all aspects of emotional, physical, and financial well-being and we strive to provide education and information so that where possible people can help themselves and be proactive in developing a healthy lifestyle. We’ve had a fantastic response to recent campaigns highlighting skin health, stress, prostate cancer, and healthy sleeping and we will continue to provide pro-active resources for our workforce”.